Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Is It Important to Visit the Setting of Your Novel?

Not necessarily, but visiting the location where your novel takes place gives you that first-hand experience. Nevertheless, that’s where imagination and research come hand in hand. It’s important to research your location if your setting involves a country you’ve never visited. Including the culture, beliefs and way of life is a critical factor that needs to be added to your novel. You need to stimulate your reader using the five senses so they can fully grasp the setting of your novel, and feel like they’re right there.

6 comments:

  1. I agree and visiting the location only makes it more visual for the writer while writing. Research is inevitable for locations not visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do visit places in my novel. It helps me get the feel of the emotion I want to portray in the novel. If I can feel it, I can write it so my readers can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tonya, nothing beats that first-hand experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My western, "The Long-Shooters" was placed in an area I explored, camped and back-packed extensively while stationed in Colorado. Every place described is real; every campsite and trail. When I tell a story, it's because I saw or experienced something I want to share, even if the story is fiction. These were experienced I did alone. Too many times I stood on a ridge and looked out and wished I could say: "Look at that!" So, I do it in my stories.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dan, that's great that you visited the exact location. You can better describe it better when you have that first-hand experience. I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete